Common cold is very common – and therefore – getting relief from it is also practiced very commonly. Owing to which many people resort to home remedies in general, but particularly in India. This is due to the fact that many people believe that home remedies do not carry any sort of side effects, besides making an individual healthy. Some of the common home remedies for common cold are as follows:
1. Drink plenty of water as it helps in preventing dehydration by replenishing the lost water due to severe cold. Adequate water intake helps in breaking congestion and keeping your throat moist. It is better if you use water at room temperature or Luke-warm water.
2. Gargle with salt water: It is quite beneficial especially when you have sore throat, throat irritation, cough and cold. Gargling with salt water effectively helps in managing throat issues.
3. Drink hot and spicy tea – consuming a tea prepared by mixing spices such as cloves, ginger and black pepper help in easing the symptoms of cold. A warm tea soothes irritated and inflamed throat and eases nasal congestion. The aromatic vapors and steam of tea help in relieving nasal congestion.
4. Take steam in: Hold your head over a trough of hot water and try to breathe in steam. If possible add a few drops of liquid vaporizers in it. Close your eyes and ensure to protect your face from the heat. Or else use a humidifier in your room. Similarly, you can also take a warm water shower in a closed bathroom.
5. Blow your nose to remove stuffy mucus. But do it in the right way. Many people blow very hard. This will force the germs into ear passages, which may cause ear infection and earache. Therefore, blow one nostril at a time by pressing the other and vice versa.
6. Take enough rest and stay warm: Allow your body to relax and get ready to fight off the infection. Proper rest, fluids and staying warm allow your body to direct its energy for fighting cold or flu.
7. Use warm compresses if you feel pressure and fullness in the sinuses. You can buy one or make your own.
8. Use honey as it has antimicrobial properties. To relieve and ease sore throat use honey tea with lemon. Honey effectively controls cough as well. Giving honey to children at bedtime reduces cough, eases pain and thus helps in sound sleep – which is quite essential in reducing cold and cough symptoms. However, children younger than 1 year should not be given honey.
9. Use Vapo rub – commonly available over-the-counter topical balm. Though children might not like it, but use them. A few applications over the chest, back, temples and nose are enough to reduce symptoms. Balms help in combating congestion, opening air passages, reducing cough and improving sleep.
10. Take nutritious food rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals and prefer plenty of rest.
All the above home remedies for common cold work wonders if you adopt them whenever you suffer from cold or flu.